Tripadvisor Travelers’ Choice Award (2021)
How to Plan A Wedding: A Guide for Grooms
You may have already read our article “How to Plan A Wedding: The Ultimate Timeline & Wedding Checklist.” But we know that groom’s often have a few other specific, important “to-dos” before the big day. This wedding checklist is just for you — a full wedding plan timeline for grooms and tips to make the most of each stage in the process.
The most important thing to remember before we dive into the wedding checklist is that we're always here to help. At Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa, we have a superb staff of Wedding & Special Event Managers and Day of Coordinators that know exactly how to plan the wedding of your dreams. They’re also available to answer questions you may have before, during and after the big day. And we have everything you need to plan the perfect wedding right on-site — from top notch culinary options like our AAA-Four Diamond Steakhouse (perfect for the rehearsal dinner) to an award-winning spa for post-nuptial relaxation with your dearly beloved. Our in-house pastry chef will even create a customized Groom’s Cake just for you!
For a printable version of this wedding checklist, click here:
6 Months Out:
You and your partner have already set a budget and booked a venue. You’re off to a great start and on track with your wedding plan timeline! Now it’s time to research some important details about the big day (and the honeymoon) and decide who you’d like to have standing by your side.
- Decide on your best man, the number of groom’s men and the who’s who for your groom’s party.
- Check on the marriage license requirements for the state in which you’ll be saying the “I dos” — ask your Wedding & Special Events Manager to point you in the right direction!
- Secure your wedding officiant.
- Outline your proposed honeymoon plans — destination, airline costs, hotel room, transportation to and from the airport, passport needs, etc.
3 Months Out:
A few shopping trips are in order during the months before the wedding — one to sort out your look for the big day and one to pick out some special thank you gifts for those who will be by your side. Order something fun for yourself too. We recommend a round of golf at one of our award-winning golf courses.
- Finalize the guest list with your finance.
- Get “suited” — make sure you understand your fiance’s vision when you decide on your look for the big day and order your suits or tuxedos.
- Secure transportation needs to and from the wedding, reception and hotel for any overnight stays.
- Complete any honeymoon plans not checked off your list yet.
- Order your wedding gifts for your fiance, best man and groomsmen.
- Book your tee times at 850-267-8211 to play on one of the award-winning golf courses at the resort.
6-8 Weeks Out:
This part of the wedding plan timeline is all about logistics. But don’t worry — our wedding checklist lists every important detail so nothing falls by the wayside!
- Finalize lodging needs for out-of-town family members.
- Decide on rehearsal dinner plans. We recommend: Seagar’s Prime Steaks & Seafood — the area’s only AAA Four Diamond steakhouse. Specializing in the finest prime beef and freshest seafood available, Seagar's also features a private reserve wine list featuring over 600 labels and private dining facilities for intimate, as well as opulent, special events.
- Notify your wedding officiant of the timeline for the rehearsal.
2 Weeks Out:
Just a few more weeks until the big day. Reflect on what you love most about your partner, then spend some quality time celebrating with friends and family.
- Write your vows.
- Secure your wedding license with your fiancée.
- Double check the details of your honeymoon plans.
- Attend your bachelor party!
1 Week Out:
Sort out some last minute details to make sure the wedding goes off without a hitch. We’re almost to the end of the wedding checklist!
- Give the fee for the wedding officiant to your best man to hold for the day of the wedding.
- Check on arrangements for credit cards / cash for international travel.
- Write your wedding toast!
- Arrange for return of any tuxedos, rentals, etc
- Get a haircut 3-5 days before the wedding, but not any later.
Relax. Tomorrow is going to be the best day of your life. Congratulations!
- Give the wedding bands and wedding license to your best man for the big day.
- Get a good night’s sleep.
Check out the first part of this series: “How to Plan A Wedding: The Ultimate Timeline & Wedding Checklist”